
New Zealand First leader Winston Peters admits the Government鈥檚 promise to train 500 extra police officers within two years might not be met, abandoning his long-held insistence the target鈥檚 timeline would be honoured.
It comes only six weeks after his own MP said she was 鈥渆ven more confident鈥 the target would be hit.
The Herald today revealed official police documents that warned the 500-police target wouldn鈥檛 be achieved until June next year and only if all recruit wings were full.
Peters, speaking to journalists this afternoon, admitted the Government鈥檚 plan to increase officer numbers would be 鈥渟lightly behind鈥 but was reassured the 500-target would be reached.
鈥淲e鈥檙e going to be on track but maybe a few weeks late, that鈥檚 all.
鈥淪ometimes you may be a bit behind and sometimes you might be in front of them, it doesn鈥檛 mean the target has changed, does it?
It鈥檚 just the latest development in the Government鈥檚 conflicting public statements on whether it would honour the commitment made in the National-NZ First coalition agreement.
As stated in that document, the Government had committed to training 500 more officers above the 10,211 police constabulary staff employed when the coalition agreements were signed in late 2023.
It confirmed the Government鈥檚 promise to reach 10,711 officers in two years or by November 27 this year.
Police Minister Mark Mitchell initially framed the promise with a three-year timeline. Photo / Mark Mitchell
Soon after the coalition agreements were finalised, Police Minister Mark Mitchell began saying the 500-target would take three years to achieve.
The Herald understands Peters quickly intervened and his party held discussions with National before the original timeline was confirmed.
That was a message Peters reiterated in December after Police Commissioner Richard Chambers told members of Parliament鈥檚 justice select committee he refused to lower the quality of trained officers and as such, was open to taking longer to train 500 extra constabulary staff.
鈥淚f it takes us a little bit of extra time ... then we鈥檒l take that,鈥 Chambers said to MPs, adding that was 鈥減robably the community expectation鈥.
Peters responded: 鈥淭hey should read the coalition agreement because we made a commitment and we鈥檙e going to deliver on it.鈥
In May last year, Associate Police Minister Casey Costello - a NZ First MP who is responsible for the coalition promise - told the Herald the 500-target might not be possible but 鈥渨e鈥檙e doing everything we can鈥.
Nine months on, Costello was much more positive when she said in February she was 鈥渆ven more confident鈥 the Government would meet the target.
NZ First minister Casey Costello has said she is confident the target will be achieved. Photo / Mike Scott
That鈥檚 despite constabulary numbers at the time falling below the 10,211 when the promise was made, due to attrition.
She explained it was 鈥渦nfortunate鈥 training wings weren鈥檛 progressed in December and January, while there was also an insufficient recruitment pipeline.
鈥淭hat鈥檚 fully recovered now and we鈥檝e had twice the number of applications in the last year than we did the year before,鈥 she said.
Costello claimed she was 鈥渆ven more confident鈥 the target would be achieved, citing the 311 people in police college and the estimated 650 people expected to complete the 20-week training programme before the November deadline.
Adam Pearse is a political reporter in the NZ Herald Press Gallery team, based at Parliament. He has worked for 九一星空无限 since 2018, covering sport and health for the Northern Advocate in Whang膩rei before moving to the NZ Herald in Auckland, covering Covid-19 and crime.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you
Get the iHeart App
Get more of the radio, music and podcasts you love with the FREE iHeartRadio app. Scan the QR code to download now.
Download from the app stores
Stream unlimited music, thousands of radio stations and podcasts all in one app. iHeartRadio is easy to use and all FREE